Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 January Plan

This is my garden plan and task list for January. Click the spreadsheet to see a more readable size.


How to interpret my short hand

Using the scallion entry as an example.

Date:
  • 1.01 <month>.<day>. I use two digits for the day so that 02 is listed after 01 instead of 10.

Code:
  • 1.01-scallion <month>.<day>-<plant type>. This is part of the label on my transplant and garden tags. I use this code to track and record what I'm doing. The date doesn't change even if I start germinating seeds a few days later than planned.
  • 1 Task order. When I sort by Plant and then Code, I need the task order to list tasks for each succession planting in the correct order. I could use another spreadsheet column, but this seemed easier.
Plant:
  •  scallion General plant name.

Cultivar:
  • Space, Tyee Specific plant name(s).

Task:
  • seed What I need to do. Tasks are seed, transplant, plant, cover, uncover, harvest, cleanup. To create a monthly task list, I sort by Date, Code, and then Task.
Sprouts:
  • 96 Number of plants I would like after germinating seeds.

Description for seeding:
  • -1 Succession number for multiple plantings of the same plant.  -1, cover plants in the spring with Agribon cloth. 1, plant in open garden. +1, cover plants in the fall. +2 cover plants in the fall with plastic sheet.
  • scallion General plant type.
  • seed indoor There are two possibilities, seed indoor or seed garden.
  • 125 seeds Number of seeds I try to germinate to get the number of sprouts I want. If the seeds are one year old, I add 10% more seeds.
  • 6 sprouts/1.5"cell Number of sprouts and size of cell tray. Most cells have only one sprout, but some plants, like scallions and onions, have multiple sprouts.
  • (16 cells) When cell trays get mixed up and plants get separated into different garden beds, I need to know when I've found all of the plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment