Sunday, January 30, 2011

Repairing row covers

Cold winter days are a good time to repair tools and get other materials ready. I use  96"x68" sheets of Agribon to cover low tunnels make from 48"x48" sections of recycled fence.

Some of the covers get ripped. Maybe I should be more careful, but there are times when I have to quickly cover the plants before a cold night. A strong tug to straighten a cover that is caught on a tunnel  fence can open a hole.


Some of the covers grow fungi along the ground edges. The fungi "glues" the layers together, pulling it off leaves a hole.


Is it worth my time to repair the holes? Each 96"x68" piece costs about $2.50.

I have some scrap material left over that I use for patches. After adding a few pins, the patch is ready for sewing.


I don't do any fancy sewing. A simple zig-zag stitch along the edges is enough to hold the patch in place. For a smaller hole, I hold a 1/2" wide strip over the hole and sew down the middle.

1 comment:

  1. I have been doing the very same repair job as you, piecing patching, overs titching. And wondering if it is worth my time. Smallish tears I use duct tape though after a season's use it does come off.

    ReplyDelete